Rehabilitation and Training
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
– Jeremiah 29:11
ABLE’s Rehabilitation and Training Centre runs two programmes catered to the needs of the physically challenged – the Return-to-Work (RTW) Programme and the Day Rehabilitation Programme. These programmes and services are run by an experienced multidisciplinary team of healthcare, employment support, social service, and training professionals.
- ABLE’s signature RTW programme epitomises ABLE’s mission of enabling the physically challenged to live with dignity and to have productive, meaningful and independent lives. The RTW programme is customised in consultations with each client, who may have acquired a disability resulting from conditions such as stroke and traumatic brain injuries. ABLE’s multi-disciplinary Rehabilitation and Training team offers a comprehensive suite of rehabilitation, employment support, training and social work services, that address the therapeutic, psychosocial and employability needs of persons with disabilities. This holistic approach, which may comprise of physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, employment support, training and social work assistance as needed, helps ABLE’s clients improve their independence in caring for themselves and finding gainful employment.
This is achieved through
- A comprehensive suite of rehabilitation services – occupational therapy, physiotherapy, pilates and speech and language therapy
- Employment support which offers job exploration, arranges job trials and post-employment support
- Training to bridge any skills or knowledge gaps
- Psychosocial support to help clients heal and rebuild social structures in their RTW journey
- We reach out to employers and advocate for their abilities and strengths and help to arrange necessary training for them.
Each RTW client goes through a few phases which range in duration depending on each individual client’s situation as shown below.
This is an individualised and client-centric intervention programme created in consultation with the client. The multidisciplinary team adopts a holistic and transdisciplinary approach towards the client’s Return-to-Work journey. Return-to-Work interventions are prioritized to enable client’s early return-to-work with an existing employer, or if for job placement, to improve client’s employability.
Occupation-focused interventions, such as simulated work activities and work conditioning, are used to enable pre-vocational readiness. Clients’ training needs are identified, and training is provided to bridge any skills or knowledge gaps to their chosen vocations. The team is also involved in job exploration, development of commuting-for-work options, specific workplace modifications or work re-design, and, reducing other barriers for return to work.
We also conduct proactive outreach and education to employers to harness job opportunities and advocate for inclusive hiring practices. The team works in close partnership with employers, community partners and other stakeholders to enable clients to optimise their abilities beyond expectations and limitations.
Applicants must be certified “fit for rehabilitation” by a Singapore-registered medical practitioner before they undergo an initial assessment. Upon enrolment, our rehabilitation team will develop an individual care plan in consultation with the client. Through goal-setting, active rehabilitation and regular reviews, we aim to support our clients in their journey towards recovery and community reintegration.
ABLE takes reference from MOH’s means testing framework to determine the applicant’s eligibility for subsidies for the rehabilitation services. Please contact our office for specific charges.
Financial assistance is available to those in financial need. Applicants will be required to provide supporting financial documents.
To apply for ABLE’s rehabilitation services, please submit the completed application form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us for clarifications or view more information from the FAQs .
Volunteering Opportunities at the Rehabilitation Centre
We have skills–based volunteer opportunities (e.g. Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy, Pilates) at the Rehabilitation Centre. If you are keen to volunteer with us, please drop us an email at email@example.com or complete and email the Volunteer Registration Form to us.